“Be kind to yourself” is easier said than done. Often, long-term habits of neglecting or criticizing yourself come from childhood. If we did not experience our parents offering themselves kindness, then we probably never learned how valuable self-nurturing can be.
So how do you become more intentional about shifting to self-kindness? The following are a few tips to begin your journey into self-kindness for a happier you and a happier life:
- Embrace Your Good Qualities. Spend 10 minutes writing down your good qualities. You have more than you probably realize. Remember these. Repeat them to yourself every day until they are deeply ingrained.
- Respect Yourself. Respect yourself by not comparing yourself to others, especially on social media. Value yourself for who you are, do not allow anyone else to dictate your value. Trust yourself. Think for yourself. Make your own decisions. It is perfectly normal to have your own wants and needs. Everyone does. Follow through on commitments you make to yourself.
- Take Care of Yourself Physically. One of the best ways to show yourself kindness is to take good care of yourself. Care for yourself in the same way you would encourage someone you care about, to take care of themselves. For example, make sure you get enough sleep, eat healthy, drink enough water, and make time to exercise. In addition, wear clothing that makes you feel good, take care of your skin, wear makeup if you want, and be proud of your appearance.
- Soothe Yourself. There are many simple ways to soothe yourself if you’ve had a bad day or week. No one knows how to soothe you better than you do. Try these:
- Take a hot bath.
- Add scented bath oil.
- Give yourself a scalp massage or rub your feet.
- Make yourself a hot tea or cocoa and enjoy a good book.
- Turn on your favorite music, and dance around in your underwear.
- Treat Yourself. Treat yourself to a half day at the spa. Buy yourself fresh flowers, occasionally. Or buy yourself something you’ve been wanting. If it is expensive, save money for it.
There is only one person in the world that has the ability to be there for you, no matter what. And that is you. Show up for yourself until you begin to realize how much you matter. Being kind to yourself is an essential for living life well.